Vote is this!

I am a non voter by choice or maybe by laziness. Haven’t voted anyone to Parliament or for that matter to school head boy.

Today was different. My benevolent neighbour, who has a Dr prefix to his name, dashed into my living room this morning. The next 20 mins were spent in a monologue on my housing society elections. I received a crash course on who’s good, bad and ugly and who needed to be voted for and why. In culmination, he thrust a chit of paper into my hand and said this is the list that you vote for. I felt like a dumb voter, which I am, who had just been subtly brainwashed into voting for a list of Martians, for all u know.

This is how most of India votes for most elections. There are no real issues; the issues if any are never in the public domain. Most voters are ignorant, a lot of them vote by habit, few of them feel pride in fulfilling their constitutional duty and a few others are even thankful that they are being asked to express their opinion.

I voted for my neighbour, some uncles and some of my uncle’s friends.

Comments

Sharan Sharma said…
Title is typical Ajith!

But we are actually the deprived lot...the slum voters would at least get booze/blouse-piece...

i think someone should do a psych. study on guys standing for society elections...have never been able to understand what motivates them...tchae...how stupid of me! - the painting contract, of course.

Popular posts from this blog

Begs the Question

Plane Truths II

Footpath- quite pedestrian