Totally out-numbered

I have two bank accounts and limited memory.

Each of my banks treats me like a king, a king of memory. They expect me to remember my 8 digit Internet login, my seven digit alpha numeric password, my 4 digit phone banking pin, my complex transaction password….if I do, I’ll probably edge my own phone number out of my memory….well the torture doesn’t end there.

In their effort to create security, banks also advise me to have different passwords and usernames for all accounts and to keep changing them. So by the time I’m actual done with learning RX9oI87A by rote, it's time to change it to to “ anything that you wish says the bank” as long as…..Its got letters and alphabet (no symbols yet! Matter of time I guess, before that happens), it's between 18 and 29 characters in length, it’s not your name or even half of it, it’s not your girlfriend’s name either. So one has to create crypts that unless written down in font size 40 somewhere might just remain locked in the bank server’s memory.

As if all this was not enough, a bank which has four letters in its name, and thankfully no numbers, sent me a new contraption. It’s called a security code generator or some such fancy term. So now on in addition to carrying my laptop, cell phone, keys, pens, ID card, money, credit and debit cards, I will also have to carry four letter bank’s contraption if I have to transact on the Internet.

And I thought technology made life simpler.

Comments

Amazonia said…
It does not ..tecnology makes life more technological and complex and complicated....In addition to all the things you mention, i also want to add the conundrum of loyalty cards....shopper- shopper's stop westside, lifestyle, globus;cotton world for clothes, simlarly for music, shoes, bookd etc, frequent flyer- more cards; fond of eating out- more cards......
Outnumbered by the cards, i feel like cutting them all up and consigning them to the flames
Ajith said…
u need a password to destroy them bips, do u have it handy!
:)

Popular posts from this blog

Begs the Question

Plane Truths II

India's Got Talent